OCR Specification A
Course Entry Requirement
Grade 6+ for GCSE Combined Science OR Grade 6+ for GCSE Physics and Grade 6+ in Maths GCSE
- Module 1 - Practical skills in Physics
- Module 2 - Foundation of Physics
- Module 3 - Forces and motion
- Module 4 - Electrons, waves and photons
- Module 5 - Newtonian world and astrophysics
- Module 6 - Particles and medical Physics
Emphasis throughout the course is on developing knowledge, competence and confidence in practical skills and problem solving. You will learn how society makes decisions about scientific issues and how science contributes to the success of the economy and society.
- 2 x 1 hr 30 mins examinations at the end of Year 12 for AS Level Physics
- 2 x 2 hrs 15 mins examinations and 1 x 1 hr 30 mins examination at the end of Year 13 for A Level Physics.
Formative assessments takes place in the form of PPEs in December and March as well as in class assessments roughly every two weeks to track progress.
All students are encouraged to purchase from the school:
- A Level Physics A for OCR Year 1 and AS Student book by Oxford University Press (supports teaching and learning in Year 12)
- A Level Physics for OCR Year 2 student book by Oxford University Press (supports teaching and learning in Year 13).
Any Specialist Equipment Required?
None. You will be provided with all necessary equipment for practical as well as any safety gear.
All students should bring a pen, pencil, ruler and a scientific calculator to all lessons.
Clubs or Interventions
Year 12 “Aiming for Grade A” intervention group on Thursday morning with Mrs Masoud. Year 13 “Aiming for A+” intervention group Friday P6 in room 27 with Mrs Masoud.
Future Careers/Uni Courses
- The course is essential for those pursuing a career in engineering, research, data handling, pure physics, mathematics etc
- The course supports further study for biological sciences, chemistry, mathematics and pharmacology
- Physics is also taken by many law applicants as it shows you can cope with difficult concepts
- A range of career opportunities based on the skills obtained as a result of doing A Level Physics course.