Woolwich Polytechnic Junior Technical School for Boys, was established in 1912 to train boys for jobs in engineering.
The School became the responsibility of London County Council in 1956, as Woolwich Polytechnic Boys School.
In 1974 Woolwich Poly was reorganised as a six-form entry comprehensive school spread over two sites. Years 1 and 2 (now 7 and 8) were in MacBean Street, while the Upper School occupied the premises of the old Woolwich Central School in Sandy Hill Road.
In 1997 the school was designated a Technology College. The school maintained a presence in Woolwich up to 1999 when the Upper and Lower Schools were combined in the former Waterfield School buildings in Thamesmead.
The school was granted a sixth form in 2011, and at this time it was (at 8 forms of entry) the largest all-boys 11-16 comprehensive in England. Exam results improved and the Poly was the most improved boys' school in England in 2010.
Woolwich Polytechnic is the one of the longest-standing, Ofsted rated, Outstanding schools in the country, having held the Ofsted badge since 2011. The school also received Ofsted Outstanding for Behaviour in 2016.
Woolwich Polytechnic School converted to academy status on 1 August 2014.
The school now has an excellent reputation for the quality of its pastoral care and provision of education and is consistently over-subscribed at both Year 7 and Year 12.