Year 9 Options
At Woolwich Poly we follow a two-year Key Stage 4 programme. This means that students will select their examination subjects in Year 9. We believe this will give the students time to develop the necessary skills and knowledge in order to be successful in their chosen subjects. All students will study GCSEs in English Language, English Literature and Maths. In addition to this student will study either Combined Science (two GCSEs) or Triple Science. Then students will decide which three subjects they would like to study from a range of GCSE or other level 2 qualifications such as Btecs. Our aim is to offer a broad and balanced curriculum which enables accessibility for all and one which is varied and meets the needs and aspirations of our students. Ensuring the combination of courses our students study provides suitable progression routes into post 16 study and beyond is of paramount importance to us at Woolwich Poly.
Key dates for 2023-2024
- January/February – Careers and Course Information – during Personal Development sessions and assemblies, students will be introduced to the options process and gather information about the different courses available to them as well as thinking about their future careers. Head of Departments will present to the students about the courses available. Please ask your son to look at the following websites for additional guidance: GCSE Options: Everything you need to know about choosing your GCSE subjects - BBC Bitesize and GCSE choices: Practical ways to guide students | Undergraduate | UCAS.
- Wednesday 31st January 5.00pm-6.15pm – Parents Information Evening – a presentation about options followed by subject ‘market stalls’ and Q&A session with Head of Departments.
- W/B 5th February GCSE Taster Week – during lessons students will have a sample of a GCSE/Vocational lesson. There will be after school sessions for Business, Economics, Graphics and Photography; students will need to sign up for these.
- Friday 27th January Careers Fair – information from local job providers
- W/B Monday 19th February– Option Interview – parents will be invited to attend an online interview with a senior member of staff to make final choices (an appointment time will be arranged in due course).
The options process
This booklet is just one part of a programme of activities that are designed to help you with your option choices. The process includes:
- Options Information Evening
- Options Taster Week
- Careers information, advice and guidance in PD lessons
- Talks in assemblies
- Subject information, advice and guidance from teachers in subject lessons
- Information, advice and guidance from form tutors
- Information, advice and guidance from Ms. Gurney
- Academic Review Day
- Options Interview – parent and student meets with form tutor
We will make every effort to allocate your preferred option choices. However, there are occasions when this will not be possible, for example:
- Too few students have selected a particular subject, or
- In the professional opinion of staff, the student would not be suited to the subject selected or,
- It may not be possible to timetable all the combinations selected by students.
Please refer to the CEAIG page for useful links to help guide your option choices.
Option Subjects Key Stage 4
Equivalent Level 2 Courses and Vocational Courses
Btec Business Enterprise
Year 9 Options Booklet 2023